Indiecon 16 dates

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
A convention for independent RPG publishers.

Re: Indiecon 16 dates

Postby Wizball » 8:49pm on 02 Mar 16

It feels to me like we have been spoiled by the Naish cons. They were always cheap and I would be surprised if I was told prices have gone up at all over the 15 years or so I have been attending.

Sure, price increases are never welcome, but they can be reasonable or expected. And fir what we are getting I think it is still very good value.

I will certainly keep attending.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
Wizball has received thanks from the following for this post:
cade_tosscobble
Wizball
6th-level
Playing: Cthulutech, Dragon Age
Running: Jaws of the Six Serpents, Legends of the Wulin
Planning: Fate, Marvel, Star Wars, Golden Sky Stories

Postby Leonidas300 » 6:54am on 05 Mar 16

Dear all, so the general consensus is that this is a go. I have also been made aware that the Smugglers Retreat will be turned into a proper restaurant (whatever they mean by that). We will be checking out the new facilities in the next month or so, so will let you know our impressions. If there are any other things you wish to see happen please let us know. At least the price hike should give us some leverage to improve other bits...

Chris
Creator of Cursed Empire FRPG
Leonidas300
12th-level

Postby SJE » 8:13pm on 05 Mar 16

Access to the nice chalets with the hot tubs?
"Forth, and fear no darkness! Arise. Arise, Riders of Theoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day... a red day... ere the sun rises. Ride now!... Ride now!... Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"

Exalted Actual Play: Gem City Watch! || Dark Heresy- Silver Dawn/The Castermere Look/The Beiderbeck Investigation || ASOI&F - A Knights Tale || Cold City: BSG || Rogue Trader: Eastern Fringes Trading Co. || Elric: Inception in the Dreaming City || Masks of Nyarlathotep-7e||Super(Mad)men from the Stars||V20: The Red List|| Dracula Dossier @LongCon2016
SJE
17th-level

Postby Omnifray » 8:11pm on 15 Mar 16

I will probably still come (and even if the price had stayed the same I might not make it), but the price hike is a definite factor.

Maybe there's a sports stadium somewhere with plenty of cheap hotels nearby where a con could take place when the team is playing away (or in low season) - executive boxes could be break-out rooms for individual games possibly - an idea to look at?
Looking for playtesters for the Implodarc Tabletop RPG. If you'd like to playtest it and post public feedback or an AP thread, ask me for the private link to download it, or I can e-mail it to you. At least compared to my usual stuff, it's meant to be simple and quick to play with quick CharGen.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby Omnifray » 8:17pm on 15 Mar 16

Also don't know what your margins need to be like but what about this place http://www.venuemasters.com/venues/meet ... portsmouth - though it would mean staging the con in the summer holidays to get the bedrooms
Looking for playtesters for the Implodarc Tabletop RPG. If you'd like to playtest it and post public feedback or an AP thread, ask me for the private link to download it, or I can e-mail it to you. At least compared to my usual stuff, it's meant to be simple and quick to play with quick CharGen.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby scopperil » 12:54pm on 16 Mar 16

That's where I work! not in lettings sadly.

There's an RPG society in the Students' Union, who might be able to tell you about the rooms they use: https://www.upsu.net/activities/societi ... gaming.php.
scopperil
2nd-level

Postby Kithran » 1:40pm on 16 Mar 16

Costs for using universities for conventions are quite high especially if the organisers are external (i.e. if it were being organised by a university society they would get a preferential rate). I know this based on the costs for Gen Con UK when it was at Reading University - if anyone thinks the costs will have come down since then I'd suggest they think again.
Kithran
Dice Funder

Postby Omnifray » 3:14pm on 16 Mar 16

Yeah I didn't follow the maths through properly when I looked at the site advertising the uni... now I think maybe it works out at double Naish without margins for the organisers... still maybe sports stadia are an option... you would have thought places would be more grateful for custom in low season but maybe they are more in demand than one would think, hosting crochet societies, bridge clubs, amateur comedy contests or who knows???
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby w00hoo » 3:35pm on 16 Mar 16

With Stadiums, probably sports schools for kids. The Uni I work for makes a mint with international summer schools when the normal students are gone.
"I don't want to remember. But if I don't have the memories, nobody will, so I can't forget." - Samantha.
"I think on this one rare occasion the majority of the fault for the confusion probably lies with me." - Omnifray.
w00hoo
Dice Funder
Playing: Torchwood Victorian, Unisystem Post Apoc, G+ TOR
Running: Nothing
Planning: Always SFLRP

Postby ToddF » 3:39am on 17 Mar 16

I plan to return IndieCon this year, and I'll be bringing another American with me from across the pond. The costs are manageable for us.

- Todd Furler
ToddF has received thanks from the following for this post:
cade_tosscobble, Elina, Grinnen Baeritt
ToddF
1st-level

Postby w00hoo » 5:47pm on 17 Mar 16

Omnifray wrote:Yeah I didn't follow the maths through properly when I looked at the site advertising the uni... now I think maybe it works out at double Naish without margins for the organisers... still maybe sports stadia are an option... you would have thought places would be more grateful for custom in low season but maybe they are more in demand than one would think, hosting crochet societies, bridge clubs, amateur comedy contests or who knows???

If you're free May 11th and want to see how Academia venues work... http://venuemasters-latest.co.uk/t/528- ... F03%2F2016
"I don't want to remember. But if I don't have the memories, nobody will, so I can't forget." - Samantha.
"I think on this one rare occasion the majority of the fault for the confusion probably lies with me." - Omnifray.
w00hoo has received thanks from the following for this post:
dpmcalister
w00hoo
Dice Funder
Playing: Torchwood Victorian, Unisystem Post Apoc, G+ TOR
Running: Nothing
Planning: Always SFLRP

Postby Uber_Munchkin » 9:54am on 04 Apr 16

Hi Chris,

Any idea when the booking form will be going up on the Indiecon.net site?
"If you stat it, they will kill it."
--Old GM's Proverb
Uber_Munchkin
4th-level
Playing: D6 Star Wars, Firefly, Shadowrun 5e
Running: Eclipse Phase, Dragon Age, D&D 5e, Shadowrun 5e
Planning: All of the Games

Postby Dan_Hellsing » 6:45am on 18 Apr 16

Hey any news on prices yet? I'm sorting things out for my guys who usually come, if someone could let us know that would be fab cheers Dan
Dan_Hellsing
6th-level
Running: Changeling the lost
Planning: All for One, one dice, space 1889 and leagues of gothic horror

Postby Uber_Munchkin » 8:43am on 20 Apr 16

Yeah, same here. We're reaching a point where those of us who take leave from work to come to the con need to book it very soon or we won't be able to get the dates.
"If you stat it, they will kill it."
--Old GM's Proverb
Uber_Munchkin
4th-level
Playing: D6 Star Wars, Firefly, Shadowrun 5e
Running: Eclipse Phase, Dragon Age, D&D 5e, Shadowrun 5e
Planning: All of the Games

Postby Leonidas300 » 4:23pm on 20 Apr 16

Dear fellow gamers, supporters of Indiecon and generally very nice bunch of attendees, it is with a very heavy heart that I regret to announce that Indiecon will not be running this year. It was to be the 10th edition, but for personal reasons out of our control, we will have to postpone until next year.

I really hate having to be the bearer of such tidings, and we are sorry if this has caused any inconvenience. I will be getting date options for next year and communicating them asap so you can plan ahead.

We are gutted but had no choice on this one.

Chris
Creator of Cursed Empire FRPG
Leonidas300
12th-level

PreviousNext

Return to Indiecon