My Indiecon Experience

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
A convention for independent RPG publishers.

Re: Explaining Omnifray

Postby Tylorva » 7:27pm on 11 Nov 08

dpmcalister wrote:
If you want your own sub-forum for Omnifray, just let me know and I'll get it arranged :)

That reminds me... Would it be possible to get one for Landston?
Landston Victorious!
Tylorva
12th-level
Playing: Nuffink. :(
Running: Rogue Trader PbP, Dark Heresy Ascension PbP
Planning: More Landston

Re: My Indiecon Experience

Postby Mick Red » 7:32pm on 11 Nov 08

Well all the feedback is excellent looks like Indiecon is a 'must do' next year, think it has been provisionally booked for the same weekend - Awesome :D
Mick Red
Gibbering Mouther
Playing: Esoterrorists
Running: Into the Odd
Planning: Yoon-Suin

Re: Explaining Omnifray

Postby dpmcalister » 7:42pm on 11 Nov 08

Tylorva wrote:
dpmcalister wrote:
If you want your own sub-forum for Omnifray, just let me know and I'll get it arranged :)

That reminds me... Would it be possible to get one for Landston?

Replied via PM :)
My administrator/moderator voice is RED.

UK Role Players Affiliate Schemes: Amazon :: CafePress :: DriveThruRPG :: D&D Classics :: ProFantasy :: RPGNow
Personal Links: Blog :: Flickr :: LinkedIn :: Twitter
dpmcalister
Administrator
Running: D&D 5e (twice!)
Planning: Pirates of the Spanish Main

Postby MartinBailey » 9:59pm on 11 Nov 08

An excellent convention. A bit quieter than Conception (which on the whole made it a more friendly affair).

Friday morning started with "Omnifray" by Matt West. A most enjoyable session with a solid scenario. This game has two very good mechanics, but outside of that - it all felt a little elaborate - good fun though.

Friday afternoon we played "Battle for Edadh", which, as the makers pointed out was most definitely, absolutely, positively *not* a CCG. Basically a card based wargame, there are a number of ways of playing. We played two varieties, a one on one duel, and a multi-player joust. Everyone else seemed to enjoy this, but it left me a bit cold to be honest. It all worked very well - it just didn't feel like much fun to me. It does have an innovative diceless mechanic (but not sure about how draws are handled).

Friday evening - the games seemed to dry up - unless you wanted to play either of the above games, there didn't seem to be a lot on offer.

Saturday morning, everything changed. Loads of games. We played "3:16" by Gregor Hutton, and what can I say - a fantastic game. It also felt like the most "commercial" of all the games we played. A tour de force - buy it now whilst it's only £10.

Saturday afternoon - we played "Starblazer". This is a game that I very nearly bought before the con', so I had quite high expectations. Again - everyone else seemed to really enjoy this, but it felt only average to me. Maybe it's because I never read the comics.

Sunday morning - we were lazy!

Sunday afternoon, we played "Blood" by Post Mortem Studios. I had fairly low expectations - but I was very pleasantly surprised. A very enjoyable game - it left me wanting more.

Sunday evening - we played "3:16" again - great game, although my companion was extremely, drunkenly load (but then his character drowned in his own urine - so maybe there is some justice).

Things I liked; loads of new things to try, games (and venue) much less crowded, great people.

Things I didn't; sometimes we were left without a game, the food at the venue is incredibly unhealthy.

Games I wish I'd played; Hot war (although I did buy it), Contenders (purely because everyone went on about it) & HEX (or HEE depending on how you look at it).

See you in January for Conception (and definitely for Indiecon next year).

Martin.
MartinBailey
7th-level
Playing: Pathfinder Razor Coast, Traveller
Running: Vox
Planning: Stars Without Number, Night Witches

Postby Mick Red » 10:04pm on 11 Nov 08

I really really wanted to play blood but despite PMS being there from friday only saw one sign up sheet for it and that was saturday afternoon when i was running which sucked, i was expecting with a demo team that size (5 or 6) there would have been lots of it especially friday night when the game choice was slim (demos=sales) WfE the cardgame i also wanted to try along with Occult wars i just ran out of time :(
Mick Red
Gibbering Mouther
Playing: Esoterrorists
Running: Into the Odd
Planning: Yoon-Suin

Postby MartinBailey » 10:06pm on 11 Nov 08

How could I forget Occult Wars!

We also grabbed a game of that over the weekend. Great fun - as usual.
MartinBailey
7th-level
Playing: Pathfinder Razor Coast, Traveller
Running: Vox
Planning: Stars Without Number, Night Witches

Postby The Crypt Keeper » 10:17pm on 11 Nov 08

My Indicon experience pretty much echo's everybody elses. I had a great time from start to finish, and it was nice to be able to concentrate on playing games again rather than the worry of Con organising ala Conception. So thanks for giving me a break from my usual jobs Chris and Karen, normal service will be resumed at the end of January :D

I managed to get into 6 out of 9 slots of gaming goodness and only had to return to work and the real world twice so for me thats a result :wink:

What can I say but thanks Mick for two blinding HEX scenario's. Having missed out on HEX entirely at Conception the full on Pompey Mick's HEX trick was well worth the wait quite possibly joint best games of the Con for me ( and quite likely to best games of any Con I've been too this year :D )

Now I hear that Mick's saying he's all HEXed out and won't run at Conception next year :shock: Thats like telling Little Timmy that you've just shot Lassie and sold her for cat meat, Nooooooooooooo :shock:

I had a thoroughly bloodthirsty and groovy time playing Interplanetry Whack A Mole (3:16)with the Pompey Crew, thanks Gregor its a fabulous game and I think I'll be running at Consequesces next week as even a dweeb with a short attention span like me can pick it up read and play in a day. Its truly the " Bert Weedon" of roleplaying games, and I mean that as a compliment.

Probably the game that moved me least was the LFR scenario I had a stab at. Firstly thanks to Duncan W for running it for us and making it fun, but try as I might I'm still not finding 4E as engaging as I'd hoped, its 4E's lack of real roleplaying and charactisation opportunities I'm missing. So far its looking like a pimped up skirmish wargame with cool powerz and hip terminology for the MMO generation and I just don't seem to get it :( . That being said I am having a better time playing Keep on the Shadowfell with our home group as theres more time to develope character quirks than in a 4 hour Con game so I'm not giving up on 4E yet :)

Finally it happened I got to play Spirit of the Century and we had a complete blast. Many thanks to Scott for running and for supplying plenty of tea, RedBull and coffee and to the other players thanks it was an absolute hoot, again a game I'd been hoping to play for ages and it didn't disapoint 8)

The last game of the Con for me was another newie, Hot War, again with Scott handling the duties in his inimitable style, great game, I survived but only just and I had to buy the book, well recomended. Curse you Collective Endeavour with your tempting RPG delights, and winning sales patter :mrgreen:

Regrets, I have a few, having to give up a game slot Saturday to go to work rankled quite a bit. Still not sticking to my guns long enough to actually play Alex's Landston scenario and alowing myself get tempted away to play something else. As usual running out of cash before the end and there was so much product I just had to buy ( this is not a complaint Chris just a complication of the age old problem of my bank balance verses temptation, plus I get paid on the 10th of the month not the 31st/1st like many and its surprising how many cons I go to are at the end or start of the month :cry: )

Well I'm looking forward to next year with my gaming ticket already sorted and hopefully a bed in a lodge to boot thanks to a bit of fortuitous luck in the raffle for a few of us roll on Indicon 2 next November can't come soon enough :D

Finally thanks to all the friends old and new who made the whole thing da biz see you all soon.
Cardinal Fangorn of the Proggish Inquisition and Keeper of the Comfy Chair

"I shall fetch the soft cushions, a copy of 2112 and a portfolio of Roger Dean album covers"
The Crypt Keeper
Dice Funder

Postby Tylorva » 10:45pm on 11 Nov 08

The Crypt Keeper wrote: Still not sticking to my guns long enough to actually play Alex's Landston scenario and alowing myself get tempted away to play something else.

You still make me a sad overlord. :(
Landston Victorious!
Tylorva
12th-level

Postby Graham W » 11:06pm on 11 Nov 08

Finally it happened I got to play Spirit of the Century and we had a complete blast. Many thanks to Scott for running and for supplying plenty of tea, RedBull and coffee and to the other players thanks it was an absolute hoot, again a game I'd been hoping to play for ages and it didn't disapoint

I made the tea and coffee actually. But that's fine.

It was a great game. Scott seemed to think it didn't go well, but I thought it was great, and so did the other players, when I bumped into them later.

Graham
Graham W
Dice Funder
Running: Cthulhu Apocalypse
Planning: Kagematsu, Apocalypse World

Postby UberMunchkin » 12:35am on 12 Nov 08

Mick Red wrote:I really really wanted to play blood but despite PMS being there from friday only saw one sign up sheet for it and that was saturday afternoon when i was running which sucked, i was expecting with a demo team that size (5 or 6) there would have been lots of it especially friday night when the game choice was slim (demos=sales) WfE the cardgame i also wanted to try along with Occult wars i just ran out of time :(

If I could just take a second here to explain. The 5-6 people you saw were not a demo team, Grim & I were the demo running people with the others being friends of ours who came along for the con. There were two scenario's of Blood run, one on Saturday & one on Sunday. I'm sorry you couldn't make it them though its an awesome game and the scenario we had was good fun.
"If you stat it, they will kill it."
--Old GM's Proverb
UberMunchkin
1st-level
Playing: Scion
Running: Dark Heresy
Planning: Don't Rest Your Head, Cold City

Postby The Crypt Keeper » 1:33am on 12 Nov 08

Graham W wrote:
Finally it happened I got to play Spirit of the Century and we had a complete blast. Many thanks to Scott for running and for supplying plenty of tea, RedBull and coffee and to the other players thanks it was an absolute hoot, again a game I'd been hoping to play for ages and it didn't disapoint

I made the tea and coffee actually. But that's fine.

It was a great game. Scott seemed to think it didn't go well, but I thought it was great, and so did the other players, when I bumped into them later.

Graham

Ooops sorry Graham, I gave Scott the kudos cos he was the GM but whoever did the hard work it was really appreciated. Not having a lodge or chalet unlike at Conception made me miss the conveniance of being able to put on a brew or chug down a can of whatever when the mood takes you rather than having to rely on the awful overpriced coffee from the snack bar or the much inflated bar prices. So the coffee, tea and bickkies better be my shout in our lodge come Conception time then to return the favour :D
Cardinal Fangorn of the Proggish Inquisition and Keeper of the Comfy Chair

"I shall fetch the soft cushions, a copy of 2112 and a portfolio of Roger Dean album covers"
The Crypt Keeper
Dice Funder

Postby Lusus Naturae » 1:14pm on 12 Nov 08

oreso wrote:'Let's Kill', a card game of being a serial killer, with Trey and some random guy was funny and fun, but was tactically flat and didn't sell me.

I was the random guy. I can agree on your assessment of Let's kill. It was fun but not really tactical. It did however kill a bit of time whilst I was waiting to start my first gaming session.

I only got along to the con on Saturday afternoon due to other commitments. I managed to get into a game of LFR in the evening. That was okay but I won't be playing again. Sunday morning I was up early and made my way to the con for 'For Queen and Country', I do like a bit of Spycraft and this didn't let me down. Sunday afternoon was my first and only indie game of the con in the way of 'Hotwar', run by Scott, it built slowly for me as I wrapped my head around my character and what was going on but by the end I was thoroughly enjoying myself. Excellent little game run by an excellent gm. You've never let me down yet Scott.

I will definitely be coming along next year. I will try and make it for the whole con so I can enjoy some more of the indie games on offer. After all, that's what it is all about.
Lusus Naturae
12th-level
Playing: Nothing
Running: Nothing
Planning: Death from Above: Post Apocalyptic Alien Horror

Postby Max Bantleman » 1:55pm on 12 Nov 08

MartinBailey wrote:Friday afternoon we played "Battle for Edadh", which, as the makers pointed out was most definitely, absolutely, positively *not* a CCG. Basically a card based wargame, there are a number of ways of playing. We played two varieties, a one on one duel, and a multi-player joust. Everyone else seemed to enjoy this, but it left me a bit cold to be honest. It all worked very well - it just didn't feel like much fun to me. It does have an innovative diceless mechanic (but not sure about how draws are handled).

Forgot to mention, played this as well and really enjoyed it. Fast to learn, obvious strategies that still require some thought to utilise and some great art. It'd be a top game for a filler or a tournament (and yeah, jousts are fun! :) )
Would I play it again? Definitely. I'll be buying it soon as...
(Thanks to those that ran it, made it even easier to get in to and they kept the mocking of our useless tactics to a minimum ;) )
Max BantlemanUser avatar

Postby queenortart » 3:48pm on 14 Nov 08

What was the eventual result on the WiFi in the main building BTW?

Did anyone use the Naish one?
Was it all working nicely and did the buying of internet tokens work?
I shall be writing a strongly worded letter to the Times
queenortart
Dice Funder
Playing: Not anough
Running: Nowt
Planning: Once Upon a Fairytale, a weekend freeform for 2015

Postby Tylorva » 4:37pm on 14 Nov 08

I know that Chris's computer at the main desk was connected to it for a good long while. It was a little slow, but otherwise worked fine. I have no idea what process was used for paying for it though.

In the Pompey lodge, someone was connected to the net - I'm not sure if that was using a local net or a mobile broadband thing though.
Landston Victorious!
Tylorva
12th-level

PreviousNext

Return to Indiecon