So?

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
A play by message board game of De Profundis

Moderator: queenortart

So?

Postby w00hoo » 5:58pm on 12 Dec 14

By my calculations the game should be finished by now. Did it?
"I don't want to remember. But if I don't have the memories, nobody will, so I can't forget." - Samantha.
"I think on this one rare occasion the majority of the fault for the confusion probably lies with me." - Omnifray.
w00hoo
Dice Funder
Playing: Torchwood Victorian, Unisystem Post Apoc, G+ TOR
Running: Nothing
Planning: Always SFLRP

Re: So?

Postby Weatherman » 6:10pm on 12 Dec 14

w00hoo wrote:By my calculations the game should be finished by now. Did it?

If it is, can I get in on the next one?
John Dodd
The Credible Hulk
Weatherman
UK Games Expo
Playing: At being a grown up
Running: Not very far
Planning: Untraceable Vengeance

Postby dr_mitch » 2:33pm on 14 Dec 14

I didn't finish the last round. :cry: I haven't received any letters for a while either. No excuse, but it vfelt like it let me off the hook. I`m really sorry about this to everyone else involved.
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Esoterrorists, Unknown Armies, Cthulhu Invictus
Running: D&D 5e, The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Postby Mick Red » 11:09pm on 15 Dec 14

Not finishing sounds like a real let down :-(
Overall was it worth it?
Mick Red
Gibbering Mouther
Playing: Esoterrorists
Running: Into the Odd
Planning: Yoon-Suin

Postby smiorgan » 1:48pm on 22 Dec 14

I came to a fairly abrupt end with my character stepping off into the unknown. I still have 3 envelopes left for the final round, but have used all of the other SAEs in the original pack.

I've managed to keep to the posting schedule despite significant disruption, but I ran out of steam at the last part. TBH my PC had reached a conclusion, albeit an ambiguous one, and two of the outstanding letters were for PCs who I hadn't heard from for some time -- so I just didn't have the energy to contrive a reason to write to them. I would still like to mail out the final three, just to close it out.

Here's the thing: when you don't get letters it's hard to play off their fiction, so you end up inventing your own, and that may actually compound the issue. To involve the other PCs you need to be asking them for their opinion or to do something on your behalf, but if you're just writing your own fic you're not doing that.

It was a fun exercise. I think my PC changed through the course of the year, and I did manage to hint at resolving some personal back-plot.
smiorgan has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch, w00hoo
smiorgan
11th-level
Planning: Pale Assassins

Postby Neil Gow » 4:49pm on 22 Dec 14

I tried, I really did but in the end it just didn't work for me. The fiction was too reactive and second-guessing and the actual act of *writing* a letter proved to be actually quite hard for me. Moreover, I did end up feeling very guilty about not replying and thus my mass mailing to catch-up became a sort of swan song. Added to the issue with my letters being only periodically forwarded onto me by my father and it was a bit of a disaster for me.

That said, nothing ventured, nothing gained

Neiol
Omnihedron Games - Publisher of Duty & Honour and Beat to Quarters
Keep up-to-date with Omnihedron on Facebook or Google+
ZackSpacks - "I get highly amused by Neil Gow’s constant slagging of Call of Cthulhu"
Jonny Gray - "Ron Edwards is no way as passionate as The Gow"
Nick Reynolds - "Suffice to say no Gon was left Un-zoed in this tour-de-force of Gow cod-British tourism-tat-driven madness."
Neil Gow
Gow Bear
Playing: Dresden Files Accelerated
Running: Monsterhearts 2, Symbaroum
Planning: Unliving, Dead of Night

Postby dr_mitch » 8:27pm on 22 Dec 14

I still want to send my final bunch of letters in the New Year, though that's less playing the game as finishing off my character's story.
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Esoterrorists, Unknown Armies, Cthulhu Invictus
Running: D&D 5e, The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Postby wraithben » 10:51pm on 22 Dec 14

I'll be honest - it ground to a halt for me as well.

The big break earlier in the year was something I really didn't recover from. I have a half written letter on the desk and two unopened letters next to it to respond to.

I found the whole thing much harder than I'd expected to for some reason the stories didn't quite click for me.

For quite some time now I've been sat there saying to myself - I'll catchup tomorrow, I'll catch up tomorrow - but have continually failed to do so.

It's a pity, as I had some ideas on the go, but at times I found some disconnect between what was happening that I found hard to deal with.

Could I press on - probably now, writing this has made ti easier some how - is it worth it? I don't know.

Sorry to all for not pressing on at the time.

Edit: Just to add sorry I didn't reply sooner, with new job I've not spent much time on the drums since Indiecon.
wraithben
14th-level
Playing: Depressingly little
Running: The One Ring - online
Planning: The House - Structure tabletop freeform Horror game

Postby smiorgan » 10:50am on 23 Dec 14

DP is supposed to be a psychodrama, so involves spontaneous roleplaying and world creation. Other players feed from the interactions with responses of their own. So this is a blank slate, GMless, improvised storygame. It's not the "normal" Cthulhu format.

It strikes me that in round-the-table improv storygames (e.g. Fiasco and Ribbon Drive) you can build up the momentum and get caught in the moment. And if you're just not feeling it, you've only invested a few hours. Here there's much less momentum and much more investment.

Kudos to W00hoo -- your stewardship with the SAEs and mailing plan was essential. In the game I started before this one, many people gave up much earlier.

I've been thinking for a while about how wargames and improv theatre have converged on the very broad group that is RPGs. My current thing is Beyond the Wall which marries OD&D with collaborative world building. Also I've played a storygame-y session of the Kerberos Club where we made up scenes and ultimately the plot (I think the GM pulled a fast one on us...). With that in mind I think DP has a lot to offer a conventional CoC game with letters to NPCs (or even remote non-session players) in downtime.
smiorgan has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch
smiorgan
11th-level
Planning: Pale Assassins

Return to De Profundis