Newcomer

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
A forum for use by the gamers at the iWARPUK club.

Moderators: Alex, John_B

Newcomer

Postby UnbrokenHull » 11:27am on 08 Sep 13

Elo all, just got a few questions and thought i'd give a heads up before just turning up one thursday.

I'm pretty broke lately and one the results of that is not having anything to do. Very uninspiring. I twiddle my guitar a little and read a small number of pages from book that change each day. And frustratingly there's no gaming club (or anything remotely interesting) for my age group in Tewkesbury, so I'm forced onto the bus to have even a mildly interesting day.

But some how all route planners seem to think its a 2 hour 30 min journey from Tewkesbury to the bus stop by the Gala club, even though its just one straight road there. So i'm wondering how most people are getting to this place? Is there no bus route between the end of the road where the club is and anywhere in Tewkesbury? I'm finding it very hard to find some kind of social environment to be gaming in.

Anyway apart from that major difficulty, I was also wondering what the club's like? In terms of the age of its members, their occupations, the atmosphere? I'm 21 but I tend to get on with older people well, but I was wondering if there was anyone from my generation at the club? And also if you ever do Warhammer, as that's something I wanted to get into. But either way, it's be nice to play anything really. I'm starting to resent videogames.

Any insightful information is appreciated anyways, especially regarding the bus route there.
UnbrokenHull
1st-level

Re: Newcomer

Postby Paul H » 3:08am on 09 Sep 13

Hi

The club is a rather eclectic lot, from differing backgrounds & ages.

Our youngest regular member is about 16, but haven't seen them for a while. (exams)

I'm oldest member (56), disabled, but active in local community. (Mr Committee Man)! :P

Others fall between us two.

We favour a number of games, but willing to try out new ideas.

There is a bar, and on secondary bus route between Gloucester/Cheltenham. (97 Bus Route) on Tewkesbury road.

Just ask if you need any more info

Thanks
Paul H
Paul H
7th-level
Playing: WLD, Mystara, Pathfinder Society
Running: PFS Online
Planning: Running/Playing PFS games online

Postby UnbrokenHull » 1:25pm on 09 Sep 13

Thanks paul. It looks as though there's no other clubs for quite a distance, and I certainly can't afford four buses each thursday, otherwise I'd come along. I may look into walking it from the bus station at gloucester but thats really not something I want to be doing at 11pm, even if the bus does run back that late.

It worries me that there are so few of these clubs around, I just hope they persevere until I get my own transport.
UnbrokenHull
1st-level

Postby Paul H » 7:10am on 11 Sep 13

Hi

It's about a 25 min walk back to town from the club, but you certainly won't want that on a miserable rainy night.

If you ask around you might be able to get a lift back to town afterwards, but we often finish up after 11.00pm. When's your last bus back?

There is a bus that leaves Gloucester bus station about 7.25 pm (might have changed) and the last bus back to town passes by on main road about 11.40pm.

You mentioned Warhammer - you mean the role-playing (not war-gaming)? If so, which version?

Just asking, since they are a couple of us who play Pathfinder on-line a lot, but also love playing Warhammer.

Thanks
Paul H
Paul H
7th-level
Playing: WLD, Mystara, Pathfinder Society
Running: PFS Online
Planning: Running/Playing PFS games online

Postby Allan_B » 9:49am on 11 Sep 13

Hi,

i think until you get your own transport it seem like a lot of traveling to do to get down to the club but if you ever can you would always be more than welcome to come.

You could always try and find some roleplayers or set up a club in tewkesbury under the gamers section on the main page of the ukroleplayers forum and see if anyone else is intrested?
Allan_B
Dice Funder
Playing: Anything that is on offer
Running: Dragon Age and 5th edition
Planning: Dragon Age and 5th edition

Postby UnbrokenHull » 12:37pm on 15 Sep 13

I've though about it, but Tewkesbury doesn't seem to be a great place for it anyway. Theres plenty of hireable spaces for it but nobody's intrested in it. I may look into trying to start something up though, once I start earning enough to thing about hiring spaces.

And its wargaming i'm interested in, I didn't know there was an RPG of warhammer. I am actually keen on trying some roleplaying games out though, since of never had the chance. In fact literally any table top games would be good. Risk looks interesting, and I saw a bunch of other games in the book store that looked cool.

I'll have a free day this week so I might just head up to the club in the day to get an idea of what the walk is like. I could get a taxi home but that might be too much.. thanks for the info anyway, it'll be something to look forward to if I can't afford the journey just yet.
UnbrokenHull
1st-level

Postby Allan_B » 7:37pm on 19 Sep 13

Hi

If its wargaming that you are interested in have a look at Cheltenham war chiefs as that's all they do. I believe their a big club which means they may have one or two people that come from Tewkesbury or they could point you in the right direction.
Allan_B
Dice Funder
Playing: Anything that is on offer
Running: Dragon Age and 5th edition
Planning: Dragon Age and 5th edition

Return to iWARPUK